New EarthExplorer contains a list of criteria that can be used to define search parameters.
To execute a search:
Search Criteria Tab
- Fill out your search criteria (it is not necessary to enter data for all criteria listed).
- Select the number of records to be displayed in the search results.
- Press the 'Select Data Sets' button at the bottom of the page.
Data Sets Tab
- Select a data set from the list and press the 'Search for Data' button at the bottom of the page.
Note: Additional criteria may be entered to filter search results by clicking the 'Additional Criteria' button at the bottom of the page.
These options allow you to select a specific location via name, address, or WRS path/row.
To use these options:
Area Selected Control
- Select whether to search via address/name or WRS path/row.
- Type in the respective search paramaters and press the 'Show' button.
If you selected to search via address/place, additional information will slide down, giving the address/name along with the coordinates. Click on the address/place to show the location on the Reference Map and update the coordinates in the Area Selected control.
If you selected to search via WRS path/row, the Reference Map and Area Selected control will be updated to reflect your search parameters.
This control allows you to enter specific coordinates for the area you wish to define.
To add a coordinate:
- Click on the 'Add Coordinate' button.
- Enter the Latitude and Longitude coordinates and click the 'Add' button.
Note: Further instructions on using the Area Selected control assume the understanding
of these steps for adding a coordinate.
To draw a line:
- Add the start coordinates for your line.
- Add the end coordinates for your line.
To draw a box:
- Add coordinates for the Northwest corner of your area of interest.
- Add coordinates for the Northeast corner of your area of interest.
- Add coordinates for the Southeast corner of your area of interest.
- Add coordinates for the Southwest corner of your area of interest.
Note: You can also hold your <shift> key while clicking and dragging on the map to define a box.
To draw a polygon:
Dates Selected Control
- Add coordinates for any arbitrarily chosen vertex of your polygon.
- Add coordinates for a vertex joining the first via a line segment.
- Continue adding coordinates in this fashion until all vertices in the polygon have been entered.
Note: Do not add any coordinates for vertices that have already been added to the polygon.
This control allows you to search for results pertaining only to the dates specified.
Number of records to return
This determines how many search results will be returned to you.
Using The Reference Map
The Reference Map
allows you to search topographically and includes multiple zoom and view options.
To define an area of interest:
- Click on the Reference Map to add a single point of interest.
- Continue adding points in this fashion until you have drawn the area of interest you desire.
- To zoom in, use the Zoom In Icon () or scroll your mouse wheel forward.
- To zoom out, use the Zoom Out Icon () or scroll your mouse wheel backward.
Additional Criteria Tab
- To pan left on the map, use the Pan Left Icon () or click and drag the map to the right.
- To pan right on the map, use the Pan Right Icon () or click and drag the map to the left.
- To pan up on the map, use the Pan Up Icon () or click and drag the map downward.
- To pan down on the map, use the Pan Down Icon () or click and drag the map upward.
- To show a map with a traditional depiction of roads, parks, borders, bodies of water and more, click on the Map Icon ().
- To show a map depicting aerial imagery, click on the Satellite Icon ().
- To show an aerial imagery map that includes traditional depictions of roads, parks, borders, bodies of water and more, click on the Hybrid Icon ().
- To show a map depicting physical elevation as shaded relief and elevation lines, click on the Terrain Icon ().
This tab is generated from the Search Criteria
and Data Sets
tabs and is shown when you click on the Additional Criteria
tab at the top of the page.
To use this page:
- Fill out one or more of the criteria (you do not need to fill out all the criteria listed).
- Press the 'Search for Data' button at the bottom of the page.